Here we have our recipe of the week, cheese and leek croquettes with tomato salsa 👍🏽
For the Croquettes
- tbsp oil
- ½ leek, washed and finely chopped, remove tough outer leaves
- 250g floury potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 eggs (1 mixing 1 egg wash)
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 30g plain flour
- 50g breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the Salsa
- 200g chopped tinned tomatoes.
- ½ red onion, very finely diced
- 2cm piece of cucumber finely diced
- 2-3 strips of pepper finely diced
- 1 small garlic clove, very finely chopped
- Splash vinegar and Worcester sauce
- ½ dessert spoon lemon juice
- Small handful parsley – finely chopped
Cut the potatoes into even sized pieces. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 15–20 minutes or until tender; drain and return to the pan. Allow to dry for 1-2 mins (HEAT OFF) and mash until smooth.
Meanwhile, in a frying pan over a low heat, cook the leek with a spoon of oil for about 5 minutes until soft but not coloured.
Add the leek to the mashed potatoes with 1 egg whisked, grated cheese and parsley. Mix together with a wooden spoon until it comes together. Season with salt and black pepper. Stir thoroughly. Chill for 30 mins or longer if you have time.
Drain the tinned tomatoes to remove excess juice, leave so it is still slightly wet.
Add the onion, cucumber, pepper, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice and parsley with the tomatoes in a bowl. Mix. Cover and refrigerate until required.
Arrange 1 bowl of flour, 1 bowl of whisked egg and 1 bowl of breadcrumbs.
Roll the chilled mixture into 6 balls of equal sized cylinders. Gently roll the croquettes in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs.
Fry the croquettes in a pan with some oil, cook until coloured and then finish off in the oven (180oC, gas 5) 10-15 mins until hot throughout.